Sunday, June 22, 2014

Life happens while you're illustrating

Black and white rough sketch phase
The busier I get the less I post, but I wanted to show you some artwork from Pitter and Patter

 Above is my black and white rough. While working on the final artwork for this spread I read a blog post from my niece and nephew who are traveling through Belize. They wrote about being startled by bats. Something had been bothering me about this spread and then it hit me - I love how bats are so still and silent, then boom, they explode in a huge mass and scare the heck out of you. So I changed this spread, added more bats! I need to get out and actually explore a cave myself, but in the meantime this is what you get. You can click on the images to get a better look.
Color spread of Patter in underground cave
And one more revision for this spread...
And the above illustration shows one of the reasons why I love working digitally. My art director/editor had a good suggestion to make the art tie in better with the manuscript. So the change took very little time and we're all much happier with the final image.

And another spread, showing Patter trickling down into the soil
Patter lands in a spring meadow
Pitter where the wetlands meet the ocean
….and Patter is swept out to sea.

No comments: